Congenital heart disease is an affliction of the heart at birth. Some cases may be curable through prolonged medical supervision. Surgery may not be required in such cases. But in severe cases, one needs to look for surgery, and finding the best pediatric heart surgeon in Mumbai or any other location is challenging.
Symptoms of congenital heart disease
- A child will suffer from growth delays.
- There might be changes in the color of lips, tongues, and fingernails.
- There can be a murmuring sound the pediatrician might hear through the stethoscope. The murmur caused due to the changes in the blood flow indicates heart disease.
- Here a sensor gets placed on the fingertips to measure the oxygen level.
- An electrocardiogram test measures the electrical activity of the heart.
- Sticky patches called electrodes are placed in the chests, which deliver results to the monitors.
- It uses sound waves to create imagery of the heart in motion. It understands the movement of the blood from the heart to the valves. It can be done on fetuses as well.
- For checking the condition of the heart and lungs.
- Observe if the heart has enlarged or if the lungs contain excess blood or fluid.
- Here a very thin, flexible tube called a catheter is guided to the heart.
- It gives information about the blood flow and working of the heart.
- To diagnose congenital heart defects in adolescents and adults.
- It depends upon the specific heart problem and its severity.
- Sometimes the effect is long-term, like a small hole in the heart, and occasionally short-term.
- In severe cases, the best pediatric heart surgeon in Mumbai is recommended.
The medication includes:
- Blood pressure drugs –
- Angiotensin-converting enzymes inhibitors
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers
- Water Pills
- It reduces the fluid in the body and reduces the strain on the heart
- Heart rhythm drugs
- Helps in controlling irregular heartbeat
Surgery or Other Procedures
- Cardiac Catheterization: Here, a catheter is guided to the heart through a blood vessel. It helps provide reports about the heart’s blood flow and working.
- Heart Surgery: The child might need open-heart surgery or minimally invasive heart surgery to treat the congenital heart defect.
- Heart Transplant: When there is a severe defect, the doctors recommend a heart transplant.
- Fatal Cardiac Intervention: It is very rare when the seriousness of the defect happens before birth, so this process is done during pregnancy to reduce the complication in the child’s growth. But it is done only in specific circumstances.
Sadly, many children suffering from congenital heart defects undergo surgeries for their entire life.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
If anyone has congenital heart disease, a particular lifestyle is essential to keep the heart healthy.
Sports and Activity restrictions
- They need to limit these activities to avoid excessive pressure on the heart.
- To reduce the infection risk in the lining of the heart and heart valves. It is recommended before dental procedures, especially for those who have mechanical heart valves.
Prepare for Your Appointment
When the child is at life risk and diagnosed soon after birth or during pregnancy. The following notes need to get followed for an appointment
- Get an appointment for any symptoms related or unrelated to the heart defect.
- All medicines and vitamins that the mother took during the pregnancy.
- Medical awareness of the mother and child before and after birth.
- Alcohol check of the mother before and after pregnancy.
What Can You Do?
- List out the tests the child needs and check if any special requirements are there or not.
- Does the child need surgery?
- Look for the best facilities for treating this condition. Try consulting the best pediatric hospital in Mumbai.
Expected Questions from the Doctors
The doctor might ask the following questions:
- The first time you noticed the symptoms.
- Description of the symptoms.
- Do they come and go or stay for a more extended period?
- If there is any family history of the disease?
- If anything makes the symptoms better?
- Is the child meeting developmental milestones or not?
Congenital heart defects are very prevalent in the world. 9/1000 children born have the defect. Almost 2 lakh every year has CHD, and 1/5th is likely to be a severe condition. In this case, proper diagnosis becomes a must. The best pediatric heart surgeon in Mumbai is always recommended.